Monday, August 29, 2011

Yet Another Chicken Sex Post

I know that it seems like all I talk about are critters and defecation, but being a SAHM is not super exciting all the time (if it were our brains would just blow out of the top of our heads!).

This morning, I noticed that one of the chickens was just sitting in the yard. The chickens are usually so skiddish that to see them sitting still is a strange occurrence. I watched her for awhile and when she stood up she stretched out her legs and started to strut across the yard. That's when I noticed the white spot gleaming from out of the grass.

I called JoDene, my local chicken farming expert to find out what I should do about the egg in my yard. "Go get it and put it in your refrigerator." These chickens have been living here for about a month now and I am not even sure what they eat. I was hesitant to say the least. That's when I said something about the rooster crowing. "Oh, I didn't know there was a rooster too. You're gonna have baby chickens!"

We are super excited about the nest of eggs in the yard (at least, Z and I are, not sure if the Hubs really cares or not - even though the chickens have been living in our yard and roosting in our tree for a few weeks now, he still calls them the neighbors chickens) that I later discovered had 5 beautifully shaped eggs in it. I checked the interwebs and discovered that we should start noticing baby chicks in the next 3 weeks or so. Very exciting stuff.

For now, all I have to offer is this picture of the little nest and the eggs inside. I didn't want to get too close because I didn't want to scare off the momma chicken.
I hope they are fertilized, although, I am still not sure how or when the rooster would have done that.
I guess we will know in a few weeks.
I really need to learn more about having chickens...



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...