Thursday, May 30, 2013

Little Wishes...

She always said that when she retired she was going to buy a motorcycle. She wanted the biggest, the shiniest one that she could afford. She wanted to just drive, to just go and and be free. Friends and family laughed, the thought of this tiny woman driving something so ostentatious, so large, so loud.

She was too sick when she retired. Sick from 3 and half years of chemotherapy treatments, tired from a cancer that was never going to go away. She didn't get her motorcycle.

After she and the Supergirl took their Spring Break trip, she explained to the Hubs and I that she was stopping the chemo. She didn't tell us how long, didn't give us a timeframe, but seeing the urgency in the plans that she was making, I knew. I just knew.

On April 18, I sent an e-mail to the president of the local chapter of the Chrome Divas. I explained who I was, who my mother-in-law was, why time was of the essence. On April 20, unsure of whether my e-mail had even been received,  I was pulling into my part-time job when my phone rang. "We are having a party at the Harley dealership, can you get your mother-in-law down here? We have some special things planned for her."




It was the last good day that we had together as a family. She was admitted into Hospice the following Monday and died at home on May 15, 2013.

Thank you so much to all of you who helped to make it such a great day. You are truly in our hearts, thoughts, and prayers everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...