Monday, April 1, 2013

April's Fool

The Supergirl does not understand April Fool's Day.

This morning, after tricking her with the age old "Your shoes are untied.", she attempted to trick everyone she came into contact with. She must think that it's a holiday where you talk about shoes, though, because all of her tricks involved shoes not being tied or being on backwards or not being on at all. She also does not wait for you to acknowledge the trick either, instead, she screams out "April Fool's" with the enthusiasm of a surprise party, as quickly as possible.

Funny.

Her story, the story of the Supergirl, starts on an April's Fools Day 6 years ago.

I had a plan.

I was ready.

This was going to be the best prank in the history of all pranks.

I just knew it.

On April 1st, 2005, I woke up and instead of trying to be considerate of the Hubs sleeping next to me, I made sure to make as much noise as possible. I made certain that he saw me get the pregnancy test out of the drawer in the bathroom where I had stashed it the night before. I talked to him while conducting the test to make sure that he was awake.

That test was supposed to be negative. It was supposed to be because all of the others that I had ever done since we had been married, started fertility treatments, etc, etc, had all been negative. And when it wasn't, I started to cry and to call out for the Hubs who now refused to get out of the bed because he was certain that I was trying to play a trick on him.

It wasn't until the next day and the 3 subsequent positive tests after that that we were both convinced that this was not a trick after all.

And I became April's Fool.

I am so glad I did.




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...