Saturday, August 6, 2011

Country Living

This is an actual licensed food establishment just down the road from the Scare Bear's house. I see people getting food from there all the time.
I find it interesting that they now offer a drive thru for those of us too lazy to get out and walk the 3 feet to the shack. 
Where we live it is normal to give directions that involve "first dirt road on the left" or "first paved road on the right". For that matter, it is quite normal to hear someone give instructions that do not involve street names at all. "Take the main highway till you get to the Stop-N-Save, make a left, turn right at the school, make a left when you get to the end of the picket fence." I personally know people that do not know their physical address because they have never had to give it out to anyone.

That's why when I found out that I had won a GPS this week from a local TV station, I kind of chuckled to myself. Aside from the occasional excursion out of town (which I usually use the GPS that came pre-installed on my cell phone for - we're not too backwards) there is really not a necessity to own a GPS. Additionally, a GPS cannot be programmed to give me the directions that I am used to receiving. It all seems rather silly (and maybe a bit arrogant) to think that I would need a GPS for daily use. 

The Hubs, however, is infatuated with all that technology has to offer, even if it makes no sense in our day to day lives. He has downloaded every map from the company's website (exclaiming "I have street maps for the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico!"). Never mind my response that we cannot drive there and therefore will probably never go, he is on a mission to look up directions to relatives houses, to see all of the alternate ways to get anywhere he may think of to go. He has mounted it proudly in his car. 

And, until the next cool gadget comes our way - that is where it will stay. 

2 comments:

  1. We're the first half paved/half gravel road on your right.... And a GPS generally has our house on the wrong side of the road, b/c not only are some of the roads not labeled here, but the addresses don't have odds on one side and evens on the other; it's just all mixed up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to admit, I rarely use road names when giving directions because I there aren't any round here. We're in the middle of nowhere and people just know landmarks.

    Love the drive-through!! I think it's a sign of our times and lazy folk!

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...