Monday, March 14, 2011

The Cleaning Fairy

From the backseat on the way home from work:

"Hi, Z. How was your day?"

"Okay."

"What did you do today"

"Nothing."

"Did you get your room clean?"

"No, the cleaning fairy didn't come today, I think she has a tummyache or something."

That ever elusive Cleaning Fairy has ruined my plans for sleep once again. The stupid B never comes to work or does what needs to be done around the house, and I am pretty damn sure that there are days that she is sneaking into the house and making a bigger mess for me to clean up.

As far as fairies go, I am certain that I have been assigned the worst of the bunch. The Wash My Car Fairy has been missing in action since I got my driver's license (the Pump My Gas Fairy has also gone missing and there is a reward out on that one), the Cook My Dinner Fairy makes sure that I am always one ingredient short of a masterpiece (we are known for being the family that has peanut butter but no jelly, kool-aid but no sugar, spaghetti sauce but no noodles, the Buy My Groceries Fairy may be a little drunk when she is out shopping), the Wash the Laundry and Clean the Toilets Fairies may have probably got flushed. The Pay My Bills Fairy seems to have stolen my paycheck and run off to Aruba.

In reality, I am the Fairy. I do not have wings, I do not have magic or fairy dust. I do prefer to do my housecleaning when everyone has fallen asleep primarily because no one is making a mess while I am trying to clean or cook or launder or pay my bills. And while I accept the fact that these are my responsibilites, I also know that I need to sleep on occasion.

There will be days that one or all of the fairies don't show up.

Blame it on Daylight Savings Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...