Monday, October 17, 2011

I Am An American

I refuse to identify myself as a percentage. I agree that I am part of the 99% and the 53% because I have to be, but that is not who I am. I am an American.

I vote.

I pay taxes.

I have worked multiple jobs since 2007 when everything hit the fan.

I worked multiple jobs while I was in college full-time.

I worked for my family and supported my father for years before he died.

I have lost a house to foreclosure.

I have filed for bankruptcy.

I have filed for and received unemployment.

I have filed for and been denied for Medicaid and Food Stamps.

I tithe to my church, not because I can afford to, but because I have faith in God.

I pay my bills on time or earlier.

I have not had to take out loans for my education or my child's.

I realize that life is harder out there for others than it has been for me and my family. I feel bad for those that are out there that are losing everything, but I refuse to be part of a statistic that further divides a nation.

It used to be that we had Democrats and Republicans. Then Democrats, Republicans and Independents. Now there are so many groups and subgroups that I am not sure where I belong.

The only thing that I am still certain of is that I am an American.

And I would really like my country back.

“Let us trust God, and our better judgment to set us right hereafter. United we stand, divided we fall. Let us not split into factions which must destroy that union upon which our existence hangs.”  
- Patrick Henry


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...