Saturday, October 1, 2011

Workin' 9 to 5

After 4 months of unemployment, uncertainty and self-doubt, I finally got a job. I am excited about the position and thrilled to finally be going back into the workforce.

I am a little apprehensive about the idea of going back to work though.

In resumes, in interviews, you put your best possible self out there. You have days or weeks to contemplate your wording at interviews, you have all the time in the world to check, check and recheck your resume.

But for work, each and every day, your new employers are expecting to see that great candidate, that shining star that was so much better than all of the others.

What if I don't measure up?

What if, on day one, I walk in and they realize that I am not the one that they wanted after all?

What if the charm, the charisma, the quirky personality wears thin on my new employers?

How will I be able to keep them interested in having me around?

I know that a lot of this is pre-new job jitters, but having been disposed of, having been discarded like so much old news after interview after painful interview, I worry that I am not as great, as shiny as I once believed I was.

I am going to go back to work.

I am going to love being around adults again.

And showering daily.

And actually changing out of my pajamas.

But it is a very scary step out of the unemployment line into the workforce.

It feels like jumping off of a cliff.


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! And, sometimes when I'm cliff jumping, I pretend that I'm jumping towards the sun into the warm Caribbean water. In this scenario there is also a pina colada waiting for me on the sandy beach. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! God is leading; have faith in that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...