Wednesday, June 20, 2012

False Positives

When Supergirl was around 3 months old, she got her very first cold. Since she was running a fever and all of the Baby Tylenol and Baby Advil said that I need to talk to a doctor before administering, we made an appointment for her to go to our HMO's Urgent Care Clinic.

After waiting a very long time, the doctor came into see us, and, being cautious ended up sending us across the hall to have X-Rays done to ensure that a simple cold had not progressed into pneumonia. We had to hold her down very tight so that the tech could get clear pictures of her lungs. The tighter we held her, the more she screamed and tried to wriggle away. I cried so hard, I thought I would never stop crying.



Once we got back home, we realized that there were several messages on the house voicemail (this seems like so long ago!) that we needed to come back, get her X-Rays and go straight over to the Emergency Room. They were certain that she had a hernia. The only instructions we were given were to pick up the X-Rays, get her to the hospital, and whatever you do, do not feed her.

After 6 and half hours, two dead cell phone batteries, explosive poop from the baby (that we were instructed to keep to show the doctor), and rock hard boobs that had become fountains, we were led to an exam room.

The doctor took one look at our worried and tired new parent faces, and our screaming, starving infant and smiled. "Your daughter does not have a hernia."

"What? You haven't even looked at the X-Rays or the poop, we have it right here."

"I don't have to", he responded, gently with a huge smile on his face. "That is a healthy, screaming, hungry baby. Her stomach is not distended. She has been having bowel movements, she is not running a fever. She is fine."

I sighed. I finally let all of the air that I had been holding in for all of those hours out. "Can I please feed her now?" I said meekly.

He looked at me, "If you don't, I am going to get her a bottle."

And then he walked out, handed the clipboard to the nurse and we were checked out. Everything was fine.

Today, I got some news about the Supergirl. News that I am not fully finished processing yet, so I am not going to detail it here, but news that is traumatizing, much like our Saturday afternoon ER visit from so long ago. I am trying to not get ahead of myself, I am trying to not let myself get carried away. I am trying to just focus on today.

I know I have asked you to pray for me a lot the last few weeks - would you mind maybe doing it again today?

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." ~Matthew 11:28 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...