Wednesday, June 13, 2012

An Oriental Obsession

I have mentioned before that the Supergirl would like to have a Chinese sibling because she would like to learn how to speak Chinese.

What I haven't mentioned is that she has a strange fascination with all Asian people. Actually,this obsession is almost to the point of being racist. And I am not really sure where it has come from.

It's been going on for awhile now.

Case #1 - When she was 2 and half she noticed that the produce manager of the local grocery store was "Chinese" (he may be from somewhere else, he is definitively Asian). I am so, so glad we were in a store when she called out to him and said, "I really like your food..." I am also glad that that was the only part of what she said that he heard and it seemed to be in context, because the next part, rumbled and slurred in 2 year old speak was along the lines of, "...Sesame Chicken, Egg Rolls, Dumplings."

I rushed her out of there.

Case #2 - Displaying to my friend that she can now count to 3 in Spanish, my friend asks her, "Where did you learn Spanish?" Supergirl replied, "I learned it at a Chinese restaurant, they were speaking Spanish." 

Case #3 - The Supergirl just started camp this week. The only person that she will talk about is her new friend "Robin". When I asked her about Robin, the Supergirl looked at me as though she was very upset. "She looks Chinese, but she doesn't speak Chinese and she has never been to China. She might just be wearing a mask."


I don't know what I am going to do with her. She told me last night that she keeps getting browner because the sun won't stop kissing her and then she said, "People are going to think that I am Spanish." I don't think there is a chance of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...