Thursday, June 28, 2012

What Alice Forgot - A Book Review

This month, I had the opportunity to read What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty. I loved this book and have added it to my top 10 list.

Alice is about to turn 40 when she has a terrible accident at the gym that erases the last 10 years of her life from her memory - her kids, her marriage, her friends are all gone. In her mind, she is the about to be 30, expectant mother, and recently married girl that she was and as she starts to explore this "new world" she realizes how much she really has forgotten.


I think for all of us, time, activities, obligations, and kids suck a lot of our memories away from us. We are always so stuck in survivor-mode that we forget how to be us - the people that our spouses loved, the parent that we had wanted to be, had meant to be, and what our initial dreams and aspirations were. For Alice, she has a chance to look back through the eyes of that dreamy 29-year-old with all of those ideas, all of those plans to see the alien world that she has created instead.

To me, it was the 39-year-old Alice that had forgotten the most as she raced from the gym to the coffee place to the school and on and on. She forgot to love, forgot to have patience, forgot to focus on the dreamer inside.

What Alice Forgot reminded me that I need to slow down. I need to take the time and energy to communicate and love the people in my life instead of taking them for granted and rushing through this life from one obligation to the next. I think the 29 year old me would be quite surprised to read my blog and discover who I have become instead.

I HIGHLY recommend What Alice Forgot and am super excited that it is being translated into a movie that is currently in development!

This is a paid review for the BlogHer Book Club. All opinions and statements in this review are my own. 



By the way, anytime you click on one of these Amazon links and make a purchase, I earn a commission. Shop through my blog!

1 comment:

  1. hi, i found you and your blog through the promote your blog on thoughts from paris. can't wait to look around. i would love for you to visit my blog and follow if you like it.

    http://www.blackinkpaperie.blogspot.com

    thanks
    bev

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...