Sunday, June 26, 2011

Praying for a Storm

This may sound strange to those of you who do not live in the South, especially Florida, but around here I have been praying for a storm.

Not just any storm, but a tropical storm or a hurricane.

Let me be clear, I do not want anyone to be hurt or their homes to be damaged, but in Florida, the only panacea that we have to the unbearable heat and humidity is to have a good sized storm blow through. A good sized storm that will finally fill all of the rivers and lakes to their peaks.

We have had rain 4 times in the last 2 weeks. Prior to that, we had almost a month with no rain at all. When I speak of unbearable heat, I am speaking of 105 degree days with 100% humidity. It feels closer to 115-120 most of the time.

The lakes and rivers are almost completely dry right now.

The people of Florida prepare for hurricanes. We know that this is the cost of living in paradise. You never see telethons to help us rebuild and while you may see some footage of the damage and debris - you will also notice that we are always open for tourism.

Hurricanes feel like nature's fresh start. They change the coast line, they change the horizon. It cleanses out and dilutes the Gulf.

I love the impending nature of a big storm. I love to open the windows and feel the wind as it is stirring. I love the adventure of it all. The energy that fills the air. The promise of great sleep while the wind whirls outside and giant drops of rain land on the windows and roof.

We haven't had one in awhile.

We need a hurricane more than ever this year, I am just not sure that we are going to get one.

Top Mommy Blogs - Mom Blog Directory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...